Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sweet Roasted Parsnips with Onion and Rosemary

The NEW YEAR is all about looking ahead and trying new things. And that includes trying new foods.

If you're like me, you likely have never eaten parsnips. All I knew was that they looked like white carrots and they weren't that interesting that I wanted to taste them.

But we were invited to a friend's home for dinner and this was a vegetable she prepared.  I tasted; I liked; and have since prepared them for our family.

There are different ways to prepare parsnips, but I find they are at their best when roasted...and this is an easy and quick way to prepare them.  You know me....Quick and Easy always attracts me to a recipe.  This is a variation of a recipe I found on several cooking sites and I think you'll like it.

 
 
 
Sweet Roasted Parsnips with Onions and Rosemary
 
 
1 Tablespoon Joe and Son's Extra Virgin Olive Oil (medium intensity)
2 Tablespoons Joe and Son's Vermont Maple Aged Balsamic Vinegar
1 pound parsnips, scraped and sliced into strips
1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried, crushed rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
fresh rosemary for garnish, if desired
 
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
 
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and toss so the parsnips are thoroughly coated with the Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar.
Spread them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
 
Roast for about 20 minutes and toss.  Roast for another 20-25 minutes until the parsnips are tender and lightly golden in color.
 
Serves 4.
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment