Thursday, June 4, 2015

Sesame Shrimp with Wilted Broccoli Slaw

I never know what the day will bring or how it will turn out.  That's just the way my life is these days.  The one constant, though, is fixing a quick, but easy and healthy meal. I know you're probably sick of my describing these recipes this way, but they are just that.

I always keep frozen shrimp in my freezer.  They're a good go-to when I'm in a hurry and with just a few good ingredients, a little imagination and a little of whatever I have on hand, I can get a meal on the table in a few minutes.

I knew how I wanted to fix the shrimp, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to serve a salad or a vegetable as a side.  So, I fixed something that was both.
I had a bag of broccoli slaw and I cooked it.  Stir-fried, actually, and used it as a base for the sesame shrimp.  It was pretty good, if I say so myself.




Sesame Shrimp Over Wilted Broccoli Slaw



Marinade:

½ cup Joe and Son’s Toasted Sesame Oil

½ cup Joe and Son’s Honey Ginger Balsamic Vinegar

1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce

3 cloves garlic, finely minced

½ diced scallions…white and green parts

¼ teaspoon salt

Red pepper flakes to taste

Combine all of the above ingredients and pour into a jar with a lid. Seal the jar and shake to form an emulsion.

2 pounds cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp.. with tails removed (May use frozen and thawed shrimp)

Place the prepared, cooked shrimp in a large zip lock bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Refrigerate for about 1-1 ½ hours. Remove the bag from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before adding the shrimp to the broccoli slaw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wilted Broccoli Slaw

I bag broccoli slaw or the equivalent of about 3 cups

1 Tablespoon Joe and Son’s Garlic Olive Oil

1 small onion, sliced thinly

2 scallions, diced…green and white parts

Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saute pan, heat the Garlic Oil to a low/medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients; stir and continue cooking for about 7- 8 minutes until the slaw is wilted.

Add the shrimp and marinade, and continue cooking over low heat until the shrimp are hot.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment