Thursday, July 24, 2014

Cooking with Black Garlic

What is Black Garlic?

Black Garlic is sweet meets savory, a perfect mix of molasses-like richness and tangy garlic undertones. It has a tender, almost jelly-like texture, slightly sweet,with a melt-in-your-mouth consistency similar to a soft dried fruit. Hard to believe, but true. It’s as delicious as it is unique. When sliced, it resembles slices of Black Truffle.

The first time I saw Black garlic and sliced it, I must admit I wondered what all the fuss was about.  But then I bravely took a bite of it and I understood why people were enjoying using it in their cooking.  I now find myself eating it straight from the jar as I prepare to use it in a recipe.

I've used it in more intricate dishes, but the other night I added Black Garlic and chives to roasted potato slices and topped the potatoes with a dollop of sour cream and a few more slices of the Black Garlic.   It was very good... and the taste, while subtle, added something special to the potatoes.

Now, along with the potatoes I had some salmon I wanted to broil.  I happen to like salmon glazes that have a hint of sweet to them without being cloyingly sweet.  I used a mixture of Joe and Son's Dark Chocolate Balsamic and Green Chili Olive Oil to make a marinade for the salmon that I also used as a glaze to brush over the salmon.

The salmon was tasty, moist and not at all dry.



Salmon marinade:

1/2 cup Joe and Son's Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Joe and Son's Green Chili Olive Oil

Pour the Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar into a small saucepan.  Cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 10-15 minutes until the vinegar starts to coat the spoon.
Combine the Vinegar and Oil and pour over the salmon.  Place the salmon in a sealed bag or covered glass dish and marinade in the refrigerator for about an hour.

Remove the salmon from the marinade; place on a broiler pan of your choice; season with salt.  Place in oven, broil for about 3-4 minutes and flip the piece of fish.  Brush the marinade on the "new" side of the fish and broil until done.

It's that simple.  Try it yourself and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment