Friday, August 22, 2014

Blueberry Peach Compote with Onions and Rosemary

I love blueberries! I try to use them in as many ways as I can. I love their taste, and I appreciate the fact they carry a lot of health benefits.  If you get an chance, do a Google search for "Blueberry Health Benefits".  I think you'll be surprised what these little berries can do for you.

Anyway, I use them in muffins, desserts, breakfast cereals quite often.  But I felt like branching out into using them in main course dishes.

I had a pork tenderloin that I seared in Joe and Son's Mushroom Sage Olive Oil.  I seasoned it with salt and pepper and sprinkled it with about 1/2 teaspoon of crushed, dried Rosemary.  I cooked it at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes and it was simple but tasty.

But before I cooked the pork I planned on serving it with a mild sweet, savory sauce.  So, I decided this was going to be a Blueberry night.

I know the ingredients aren't something you'd normally choose to combine in a dish, but I decided to try it.  I knew if it didn't turn out well, you'd never know...so I had nothing to lose.

The fact I'm posting the recipe should tell you it turned out well.





 
 
 
 
Blueberry Peach Compote With Onions and Rosemary*

2 pints fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cup peach slices (cut into 1 inch pieces)…fresh and peeled OR frozen and drained
1 cup finely diced onion
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
¾ teaspoon dried, crushed Rosemary
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon Joe and Son’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Mild Picual) or Butter Infused Olive Oil
½ cup Joe and Son’s Peach Balsamic Vinegar
Pour the Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a large saute pan and warm to medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook for about 30 minutes until they turn golden in color.
Add the blueberries and peaches and continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
Season with the brown sugar, Rosemary, salt and pepper.
Add the Peach Balsamic Vinegar and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook and stir for about 10 more minutes until the berries have collapsed and the vinegar has reduced and thickened.
 
*This compote would pair well with roasted chicken or ham.  I would even use this compote over Brie cheese, drizzled over a slice of cheesecake or a dish of ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment